A ketogenic diet is made up of almost zero carbohydrates (less than 50g per day), 20% protein, and the rest (75%) comes from dietary fat.
This means that you are going to have to avoid a lot of foods, and build your diet around high fat foods.
We will take a brief look at a few of the best foods for keto diets available.
• Steak: Steak is high in protein, but also contains a lot of fat. One 300g serving of sirloin steak contains 82g of protein (328 calories), and 44g of fat (396 calories). Cooked in oil or butter, this will make a very high fat and high protein meal choice.
• Avocado: There are very few fruits or vegetables that fit into a ketogenic diet, they are mostly too high in carbohydrates. The avocado is therefore perfect as it only contains 2g of carbs per whole avocado. It also has 29g of fats and 4g of protein. They are high in Vitamin C too and a good source of fibre (which isn’t counted as carbohydrates).
• Coconut Oil: MCTs are medium-chain triglycerides which are fatty acids. MCTs are great for ketogenic diets because they have so many benefits. They can improve athletic performance, reduce appetite, and lower blood sugar. Also from a cooking point of view, coconut oil has no strong taste so can easily be used to cook with.
• Nuts: A handful of nuts is one of the most calorie dense snacks that you could hope for. Very high in fats, and (provided that you pick the right nut) low in carbohydrates. Easy snack to eat.
• Bacon: A slice of bacon has a decent amount of protein (3g), 3.5g of fat (31 calories worth), and only a trace of carbohydrates. A great choice for keto diets.